A：IP is an acronym “Ingress Protection”. It is a measurement of the protection an item will have against solid objects (dust, sand, dirt, etc.) and liquids.
An IP rating is comprised of 2 numbers. The first number refers to the protection against solid objects (dust, etc) and the second number refers to protection against liquids.
Low IP ratings are appropriate for:
– Indoor use
– Protected use inside sealed products
– Inside sealed signage
– When using aluminum extrusions
High IP ratings are appropriate for:
– Unsealed outdoor locations
– Places that have a lot of debris
– Areas with heavy foot traffic
– High splash areas
– High contact areas (people touching them)
– Wet locations